Saturday, September 8, 2012

A POSITIVE 1 %!!


Greetings dear readers!!  So I always thought I was part of the 99%, but am happy to be part of a different 1% - the 1% that survive my  diagnosis - stage 4 endometrial cancer.   I went to see my Doc who has transferred to Mass General  - am very happy to stay with Dr. D.  Yes indeed, I am  THRILLED to be a part of THIS 1%!!  Dr. D. said I can now officially use the word REMISSION!  The semester has started at BCC, and I love meeting new students, tutors and faculty who are also committed to supporting our challenged readers.          My goal with the Big "C" adventure is to now reach out to those still in treatment, still struggling.  Dr. D. also said he has confidence that I will stay here to see amazing new treatment options " - the genetic breakthroughs that may indeed be the "magic bullet" for cancer.   I will continue to research and report on the latest  new discoveries.   I also plan to continue my expressive arts work and hope to provide workshops for survivors still laboring under the "every 3/6 months tests" pressure.  We always are waiting for the other "shoe" to drop.  

I also plan to research what's happening to Medicare.  My new Cancer Nurse at Mass Gen was saying she is struggling to negotiate Medicare for her 80 + year old parents who just signed up for Medicare as they took care of their own insurance until recently.  Because they didn't sign up at 65 they are being penalized somehow.  These bureaucratic glitches are so frustrating to say the least...  

I am still struggling with my insurance co. that has denied payment for my radiation because they somehow see the treatment as "experimental".  I think I am getting through to them and will be able to settle this, but it's so frustrating to have to fight for coverage for Cancer treatment!  When will this country and our government wake up about universal health care!  

The good news is - I am still here to keep fighting the good fight - and happy to part of THAT 1%!!!  





3 comments:

  1. OMG...REMISSION! Wonderful news indeed!! You deserve the membership in that 1% dear friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know how much I love you and respect you... You are a beacon of hope in a sometimes dismal world. It is your incredible optimism combined with the extraordinary world of modern medicine that gives us the selfish pleasure of having you share this earth with us. May what ever God we chose to worship know that we are thankful for your good health. Your Bro G

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy about it all, Sal! I've dropped off in my blog loyalty. I'm ALWAYS better about things in the Fall!

    ReplyDelete