Saturday, February 5, 2011

ON THE MEND: THE AMAZING HUMAN BODY


So I made it through, dear readers, and broke out of the ward yesterday! Docs and nurses were great, and other than the constant "wake up for testing" the snip and sweep went well. I met a delightful chaplain, Caroline, and several great nurses, especially Janet who was both caring and lively. I was quite impressed that she has volunteered twice in Haiti: we agreed that such experiences enrich our lives in unexpected ways.

I have a lovely set of tummy staples to mark the staple and sweep out region, which will result in a lovely tummy ridge. Guess the thong bikini is out for this year... It is amazing that our bodies can mend from such aggressive invasion. Not that the body doesn't protest (hey, what the ##&&** are you doing to me?? Get the H out of there!)

At this point, the docs have to wait on 'pathology' to figure out next steps. I will in all likelihood be home mending for 6 - 7 weeks or so, but do hope to go back to work once I'm mended. I won't know about future treatment for about a month - but will continue my support services, especially the wonderful meditation/ visual expression group. While cancer is not a 'gift', it has provided an opportunity to explore my inner self and the strange process of becoming ourselves.
In this land of snow, I can't say that sitting by the fire and concentrating on healing is all bad. Just don't make me laugh too much!! I'll continue my writing and painting as I sew myself back together: who knows, I may discover a whole new adventure! Each day, each hour each minute: I love life! xxSal

4 comments:

  1. It is a season of new life... Mom's croci are up (the ones she "borrowed" from Lewis Ginter) and you are on the "mend". I love you and I am so grateful that you are in my life.

    Your Bro G

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's clear the operation was a success...and I'm so glad you will have all the time you need to mend by the fire with snow to look at out the window.

    Sending my love and prayers for being able to get back to the work you love outside the house as well.

    Love always,
    Lorraine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Dear Sally,

    I am looking at a Chinese Proverb I found somewhere: "keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come." I think that your heart must be a forest of green trees and colorful singing birds! Sending you all kinds of good thoughts.

    love Denise

    ReplyDelete