Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Guest Author:Caregiver's Story....


Dear Loyal Readers:
  1. About a month ago I received an e mail from Cameron St. John, who had discovered my blog.  
    He asked if I could put his story on my blog.  One important element of support for those of us 
    who are patients and caregivers is our connection to each other, as only we understand the
     impact of this disease on both patient and caregiver/family.  It is with please that I introduce
     this honest and hopeful story - another tale of love and survival!  Here is Cameron's story:

    .A Caregiver's Story

    I was a caregiver to my wife, who suffered from mesothelioma cancer. She has told me that she
     cannot comprehend how difficult it must have been for
     me, and I have only brought up the 
    subject to her once. I hope to share more freely with
     the following story.

    Our first and only child was born three months before
     my wife was diagnosed. We went from 
    being joyous to being afraid and uncertain about the
     future. When the doctor told us it was
     mesothelioma, I looked at my crying wife and
     wondered how we would deal with the situation.
     I was very overwhelmed with emotion as the doctor 
    informed us of the choices we had and 
    the difficult decisions still ahead.

    Right after the diagnosis, I experienced severe anger in which I had difficulty controlling myself,
     and I often used profanity. Over time, realizing that I needed to be there not only for my wife but 
    also for my daughter, I regained emotional control. While I still had slips, I made an effort to 
    show strength in my wife's presence and give her something to lean on.

    One of the most valuable lessons I learned was how to prioritize my time. My list of tasks was 
    endless, involving our daughter, our pets and making travel arrangements. I managed to
     accomplish what I needed to by focusing on the most important things and accepting help from 
    other people when I needed it. We were fortunate that so many people cared and wanted to
     help. Even so, I felt weighed down by all the responsibility I was carrying.

    Following Heather's surgery in Boston, there was a period of two months that was extremely
     difficult. She was in South Dakota with her parents and our daughter, who had been staying 
    with them. The purpose of the trip was to allow Heather recovery time between the surgery and
     the next step in her mesothelioma treatment, which was radiation and chemotherapy. During 
    this 60-day period, I saw my wife and daughter only once, after driving 11 hours through a 
    snowstorm. I had left work on Friday and had to return by Monday, so it was a quick turnaround 
    trip that left me little in the way of quality time.

    Despite how difficult it was to be separated from my family, I do not look at that dark period as 
    any kind of loss. Having Heather and Lily stay with Heather's parents was the most sensible 
    thing to do, as I would not have been able to care for her on my own and still go to work each day. It was something that had to be done and only one of the many challenging decisions we were forced to make. I was grateful we still had the ability to make those choices.

    During that time, I learned that it was okay to let others help me and take some of the burden
     from my shoulders. It helped us both feel like we were still in control during all the uncertainty.
     Through all of our struggles, Heather is still here and still healthy over six years later. 
    I hope that our story can be a source of hope and help to those currently battling cancer.

    Note to all: Responses welcome - let's keep the support conversation going!


No comments:

Post a Comment