Wednesday, August 4, 2010

GONE FISHIN' AND REFLECTING





Dear readers, I continue to learn that the unexpected can be truly glorious. As noted, I was saddened that my Sis Sue couldn't visit, but am happy that she is on the mend. The change turned into a propitious opportunity for Beth and me! Our four days on Sargent Lake in NH proved to be a taste of paradise: a lovely little lake (how's that for alliteration?), perfect for kayaking, fishing and just plain ole settin' and reflecting.


I had forgotten the fun of fishing (can't seem to avoid alliteration today) - the concentration, quiet patient waiting, and joy of the bite! Beth proved to be the Queen of the Catch - with her huge mouthed bass! We DO have the pictures as witness, and it wasn't the one who got away! I managed to hook four little sunfish, not bad for a novice like me. And Madelin demonstrated her all-around skills with both sunfish and a respectible bass as well.


This mini vacay was such a gift to us: providing both hilarious family fun and moments of quiet solitude. In our journey of late, both Beth and I have needed this gift - thanks to nephew Matt and his partner Naz who shared their week at the lake with us.


In this chaotic troubled world, we were able to enjoy the treasure of time and togetherness. And you can witness the return of my hair as well! As I continue on this chemo trip, the lower dose of Taxol is allowing regrowth - it seems to be quite a crop, a respectable silver fuzz.


While I revel in the memories of these treasured days, I am beginning to plan a new project: connecting with a national "Make a Wish" type of support for adults with serious/ terminal conditions. Returning to reality from our little paradise, I reviewed our insurance reports, and realized that if I didn't have good insurance, the chemo, etc. would have cost me over $80,000 this last eight months. I am investigating the 'Dream' foundation out of California that provides 'wishes' for adults, including reunions with family and other important connections. I hope to use the effort as a platform to support national health care - with emphasis on the needs of cancer patients and survivors! Stay tuned!

5 comments:

  1. All I have to say is...can't hold a good woman down! You are one amazing human, my friend. It seems synchronistic that your bills would have amounted to about what my medical bills actually were after my car accident and the insurance I had didn't pay (c. $88,000). Luckily they were such thieves that the feds sued and I eventually (few years later) got enough money to pay off 50-cent on each dollar, which all creditors accepted.

    So glad you got to do the time at the lake...sounds heavenly.

    Can't wait to see you, and your fuzzy head, in Oct.! :-)

    Love & Hugs,
    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can read Beth's mind...now just how am I going to cook this? I agree, getting away does give you time to reflect. We get too busy and don't stop to smell the roses. Poland is what the lake was to you. Hate to leave here. I don't know when I have relaxed more. Adele (even tho it says George....)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sally . . . you are an amazing writer . . . I've said that before but it bears repeating. I have a question -- is there anyway that I, as a friend signed on to your blog, can be notified when you post something? Swiss cheese brain such as it is, I need to be reminded to look. I send you love & hugs from Brookline. XO VG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good talking to you this evening...and reading this, tonight.

    ReplyDelete