Sunday, September 12, 2010

STAYING ON THE JOB FOR HEALING


Greetings dear readers after a long break! I completed my most recent series of chemotherapy, and had the delightful CT scan (ah those berry smoothies...yuck!) At my last Dr. visit, I was thrilled to hear that I might be able to reduce my chemo treatment. I have been planning with my optimistic tendency to return to work, believing I could move to 'maintenance' chemo, monthly, without many side effects.

Life does offer twists and turns! On the one hand, my Doc.'s report on the status of my little monster was excellent - he actually said he has NEVER seen a patient with stage IV uterine cancer respond so positively to chemo. The tumor, while still there, has no growth, and some of the enlarged lymph nodes are no longer visable. And the so called 'blood markers' which measure the extent to which your immune system is reacting to any active cancer, continue to drop to the low normal range.

Now the OTHER news. My Doc recommended continued weekly chemo to continue the best possible reduction of the continued cancer. This means the need to continue my leave - not returning to work. After all, I have to choose for the best chances to extend my life.

Well folks, I didn't receive this news with open arms. The thought of not returning to work was at first devastating: but my work IS my life! I have been preparing my colleagues for my imminent return. Now I need to reposition myself - to enable the QUEST program to have the needed support for reading, but primarily to allow for myself the time and rest to enable the chemo to continue to work.

Last week I wrote about living in the now, receiving the present moment and its reality. Today I need to follow my own words. Life has a way of putting the mirror to our words: today I breathe and breathe. x

2 comments: