Thursday, September 2, 2010

TODAY IS ALL WE HAVE


Greetings loyal readers, I have been absent but delightfully busy. Last week Beth and I had the amazing gift of several days in Provincetown, Cape Cod through the generosity of friends Cheryl and Laurie. During these three sunny days, we were able to relax, meditate on the beach, and renew. Time away can be so healing.

I had my last chemo infusion this week in this series: next week I go for my CT scan and meet with the doc to chart the next path. I am hoping to return to work if all is as he feels it will be. Send meditations my way?

The title of this post is inspired by two amazing books I have been reading: When Things Fall Apart, Heart Advice for Difficult Times by Pema Chodron, modern American Zen Master, and Buddha's Brain by Rick Hanson and Jack Kornfield. All of these authors believe in the healing power of meditation, in seeking mindfulness, awakening to the present moment. As I tread this current path in my life, I am finding that bringing myself into present awareness - letting go of past and future - enables me to live more fully, as the old Hippie Guru Richard Alpert/ Ram Dass told us, to "be here now."

Not that its easy. I find myself caught in the "...why didn't I, where did the time go" and "... what's coming, what will tomorrow bring" mode. As Chodron reminds us, our emotions, useful for survival in many ways, can entangle us in past and future. She teaches that fear and desire keep the wolves away and feed the body, but can deny us peace of the spirit.

So I breathe, allowing my thoughts to float by in the stream. This is it. xx

2 comments:

  1. Many meditations and prayers coming your way. Thanks again for taking time to share with us what your days are like and the inner work you are doing. I know you'll be back to work soon...but staying in the moment and not overworking. See you pretty soon. :-)

    Love & Hugs,
    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete