Thursday, April 8, 2010

FAMILY



Global what? Wow, what a day - 93 degrees! As effects from the last infusion slip away, I am enjoying a fabulous visit from brother George and sis-in-law Adele from Virginia. George and Adele had quite an adventure getting to Newport from 95: their Garman geo gal wasn't aware of the many road closings and detours - they had quite a journey! But yesterday we spent this pre-seasonal summery day in downtown Prov, strolling Waterplace Park, joining the sun starved crowds, exploring Atwells Ave and Federal Hill, and relaxing with a glass of wine at the Piazza. I even went baldie at the Piazza (my shiny pate was quite heated!) and enjoyed the breeze on my noggin! (This is actually a picture of the Providence Piazza!


Each encounter with those I love has become so exquisitely special. I don't have the opportunity to visit with George and Adele in person very often, although cyberspace keeps us in close touch. But the joy of sharing a day together has been a special gift. In addition, Adele joined me for my Women's Cancer support group at Women & Infants Women's Cancer Center. Ten to 15 of us gather twice a month to share, inform, support and laugh. Adele, a Navy nurse for 20 years, (yes Ma'am Commander Gabb!) and now a school nurse, was at one point an oncology nurse and is also a cancer survivor. I was so happy to have her visit my "Women & Infants family" and to share her own experiences. (My brother, also a Navy vet and ever the explorer, found India Point Park and was happy as a quahog!)

The members of our group constantly inspire me. Most are long term survivors (10 - 13 years) and several continuing to live through various surgeries and treatments with determination, grace and humor. When I hear of various treatment experiences, I am aware of the strength of these women who affirm life at every turn. We also share about family and support, how all of those close to us also have "cancer", how we take care of each other. Enjoy sun and support, dear friends!







2 comments:

  1. and still. always. holding you in my thoughts and prayers and in my heart. you know that.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful visit. The touring of Providence gave me a real sense of your love of this city. Spending time with you and Beth was a gift....the food incredible (I have never eaten so much seafood in one week)and the time spent with you incredible. You are such a strong woman....Love you and Beth....

    ReplyDelete