Wednesday, April 14, 2010

WOMEN PREPARED & READY

Hi all - the good news is that I am in my best week of each cycle - right before the next drip! Working every day helps me feel 'normal', and useful. I continue to be blessed with minimum of side effects, and good energy. For those who are not in Providence, I have become the 'scarf gal' - and I find that people easily sense that I might be a Big C Baldy. This opens conversations, people offer their own experiences and extend support.
So I try to be well armed with conversational scarves...(found this on "beliefnet"!) I have written often about the strange gifts of the Big C - a new avenue for sisterhood to be sure.
I'm thinking particularly about crisis areas of the world, and people with chronic or crisis conditions caught in floods, earthquakes or volcanoes. I have special admiration for Dr.s and nurses who volunteer in crisis locations - such as the Doctors without Boarders. ( Médecins Sans Frontières ). To be concerned and informed, check out their website - especially information about continuing needs in areas where the immediate crisis is past, but continuing needs are monumental. I think of people with continuing health needs such as cancer, compounded by injury, limited food, poor water, etc. We are so privileged here.
Well, the spring weather is taking a break - a damp chill in the air for the weekend - but it IS middle April! And my own "seasons" march on - enrolled in Social Security since I turned SIXTY SIX ON Monday! Just glad to be vertical on my natal day. I celebrated with my Beth, Birthday Buddy Janet, and friend Judy - raising a glass to "life goes on!" Looking forward to many years ahead! (armed and scarfed for the future....)

2 comments:

  1. Great new post...and I love that photo...nuns with guns!...how weird and strangely funny.

    Glad you are being able to work sometimes, and that modern medical advances help reduce the side effects of chemo so that you can. What you say about most of the world and how people there have to deal with such serious illness strikes me deeply...what contradictions...being happy about the resources you have for fighting your illness while realizing how privileged we are.

    I also gave my money after the Haiti earthquake to Doctors Without Borders...they deserve much recognition...and love.

    Love & Hugs to you sweet friend. xxx Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  2. nuns with guns and conversation slowing hats, maybe
    or maybe not

    love you. thanks for spending part of monday with beth and us
    xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete