Sunday, June 27, 2010



So, dear readers, my first week away from work was filled with family and frolic. After chemo on Monday and the usual Tuesday recovery space, my brother George came to visit on Tuesday night for a short two and a half day visit from Virginia. We had the great fortune to be able to use the Grossi family beach cottage at Charlestown RI for the three nights - wonderful chemo recovery space, complemented by the best possible June weather (despite dire predictions of storms.)

As Bro G said, the visit started with my space out - in my rush to get to the bus station to pick him up, I grabbed Beth's keys - and didn't discover it until half way from Providence to Charlestown. George was a champ, turned around and drove back to N. Providence, and we continued with our rambling dialogue - in the pouring rain! With the proper keys, we got to Charlestown and settled in for the first night of sea air (what healing breath.)

Over two days, we settled into our natural sibling chat - we share so many interests including progressive politics, philosophy, education, travel and people watching. We chatted on strolls to the beach, kayaking the beach pond a bit, lounging under the spreading birch tree, and eating steamed lobsters, steamers, little necks and corn. Now this is a chemo recovery path I recommend! I especially enjoy my brother's excitement about science - he teachers middle school science (after a 20 year stint as a computer nerd for the Navy!) We share a love for the periodic table (mine philosophical, his scientific) and our awe about our universe. Pic at left of our compass rose - great way to beautify a septic! There can be beauty in every function... p.s. earth wind, water and fire design by Madelin, age 9) Our conversations made me want to go back and take high school chemistry again, and physics for the first time - maybe this is ahead for me!

Our hours and days together were the best gift - I thank my brother and our partners.

Then - Saturday Beth and I hosted the "Madolympics" - a birthday party for niece Madelin, famly and pals in our back yard. We had a torch parade, amazing contests ( hula hoop tricks, ringtone dance contest, slippy slide marathon - the "Madolympics cardboard medals are treasures for all) topped off by a giant "jumpy house" for kids of all ages. My Beth of course created Madelin's favorite meal of chicken wings, rice and salad, plus killer guacamole and an almond pound cake! As more than 20 people gathered for the food and fun, I was reminded again of how important it is for me to be surrounded by family, laughter and love. I am one of the more fortunate humans in the universe! (Note the poppies - seeds from Mom who was there in spirit for this gorgeous day!) Life is a bloomin' miracle!

1 comment:

  1. lovely. so glad that family has had time to come and visit and that the weather deities are cooperating. sorry I missed your call this morning - will catch up this week

    love you

    ReplyDelete