Saturday, July 3, 2010

MID SUMMER DAYS AND NIGHTS


Once again a week!

Despite my leave from work for my weekly chemo, I have been busy - thinking, resting and writing. As I have been sitting on our deck, looking out at my midsummer garden, I am filled with thanks, concentrating on life and health. I have been writing a small presentation for Sunday at our Unitarian congregation in honor of Thomas Jefferson - focusing on his amazing gardens - his devotion to both beauty and usefulness - liberty and sustenance. Last summer, Beth, my brother George, my grand nephew Palmer and I visited Monticello and spent the day in awe - of the house and it's wonders, but primarily of the phenomenal gardens.

I was reminded that Jefferson and all the folks of his time - European settlers, slaves, native Americans - depended on gardens and plants for sustenance and survival, and for healing. And of course, I was reminded of the contradictions of Jefferson himself, and ourselves: that we excoriate systems of oppression while we continue to benefit from their existence.
I continue to explore natural remedies for my own journey, even as I submit to the chemical treatment of my little monster. But I hope to find plant based applications to send said monster into apoptosis!

And I have the gift of this time to focus on returning my body to health, strengthening my spirit and my resolve. Last evening, Beth and I had a marvelous dinner with friends from Bell Street Chapel - Ellen and Stu. These gentle amazing people have a small organic farm, raising chickens, turkey, and the most beautiful vegetable plants. Ellen herself is struggling with a difficult neuro-muscular disease, but has the most amazing spirit and determination. They raised four sons on this magical garden space, Ellen was a teacher and Stu a social worker. We were joined by Carol and Arlene, two other wonderful members of our Unitarian community. I felt my own journey strengthened by this lovely evening.

Once again, I see the ways that my journey is bringing a wealth of friendships and the expansion of my own universe as I learn from new friends. I wish to all my dear readers a wonderful 4th of July weekend - may each of you find joy in family, community and celebration, and the belief in 'revolution'! xx

2 comments:

  1. And Happy July 4th to you both! Your journal entries are always wonders for me. A beautiful example of how we can travel through serious challenges with not only a positive attitude, but with a generous and giving spirit, bolstered by a genuine sense of gratitude. You are bound for apoptosis for sure!

    So looking forward to seeing you in October...may your healing and rest allow you to be, and present, with us at CUNY.

    Love & Hugs,
    Lorraine :-)

    ReplyDelete