Friday, July 16, 2010

BEACH, BREATHING, BONDING


Thanks to friend Marilyn I spent yesterday at a beach in Little Compton, RI. There is nothing as peaceful as time watching the surf - the ebb and flow are life renewing. We sat under an overcast sky, but the air was delightful with a warm breeze and the muted light created a meditative mood for us both. The time on the sand gazing at the ocean horizon helped calm my impatience as I continue to wait for my blood levels to come back. (Send psychic messages, dear friends, that I can do chemo next week - it's been nearly a month of delay!!)

Marilyn and I have known each other for over 30 years, and always have great conversations about learning, knowing, living and healing. In addition to being a reading educator, she has become a licensed therapist. She completed a degree in 'integrated therapies', and has studied a variety of healing strategies using Buddhists ideas and inspiration. Our conversation was another confirmation of the importance of breathing for our well being.

Today I had several long wonderful phone conversations. Sister Carolyn and I exchange thoughts on reading and art projects, Lorraine shared those radical hippie lezzie days in Atlanta, Judy is my best pal in RI. These cell phone ramblings again reminded me of the strange gifts of this time, that I am strengthening the bonds with loving siblings, family and friends who are giving me so much support. In my many hours by myself, I reflect on the these treasures , and the many ways that being enveloped by love is aiding my healing and moving me forward in this adventure. (How linear we are...) Of course, my loving Beth is my heart, and accompanies me on all the byways of this strange journey.

As with the ebb and flow of the tides, I am carried through this experience we call time. The day at the beach was an island of hours away from the everyday. Summer is a good thing...








2 comments:

  1. Sally, I'm sending you lots of positive energy. Have been following your journey here on the blog and am constantly inspired. My dad is also fighting cancer. I'm glad you had a good day at the beach. I am sending you big psychicly good vibes as we speak (type that is).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sal, your writing is so beautiful and lyrical and to the heart of the matter. I feel I was at the seashore with you...I'm calmer after reading about it. Thanks.

    Definitely sending blood-building thoughts and prayers...as are others at First E.

    Love & Hugs,
    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete