Tuesday, February 23, 2010

TIME AND TIME AGAIN..



A long hiatus, dear readers!

I worked Thursday and Friday - have found that side effects are few this go round. I am so very fortunate so far!! Amazing what medicine has been able to do to minimize side effects. I am taking days to protect my immune system -at least 10 per month - this time has been a kind pf 'prep for retirement' exercise. Here I have all this time to write and draw and paint - and find I don't use the time to greatest advantage!

Working life has so conditioned me to focus on work tasks - to use up time. While I love my work, feel rewarded by involvement in supporting opportunity, learning and education, I find it hard to use this time to explore parts of myself I have hungered to seek out. In the last week, I have begun to allow myself more time for those things I have wanted to do for so long.

Time. How we yearn for it yet squander it. I think these days about valuing every minute, appreciating the fullness of experience. I have spent many hours in our recliner, looking at a side window on the yard. I have for the first time noticed how the view changes through the day, how light paints the colors and and shadows in such varieties and differences. I am seeing the world, now that I have the time.

So back to work in the coming week, determined to consciously value my days! As always, your responses and thoughts energize me! I'll be writing this week more about health care and research: my friend Linda Dziobek, a leader in the state cancer coalition, is providing me with lots of info and ways to be active!! Stay tuned! ApopSal

3 comments:

  1. good for you.
    windows are gifts, too. sort of tivo, without the coming back later.
    wait. not tivo at all. actual real things to look at, changed by light.

    hmm

    love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sal -- Don't have your e-mail here at work, you might be interested in the following, sorry for the short notice. -- Roger

    The National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities, Division of Human Development and Disability
    The National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Division of Adult and Community Health
    and
    The CDC Mental Health Work Group
    invite you to attend
    The Potential Impact of Spirituality on Health Care - The Example of the Yogic Science of Breath
    Summary: The bi-directional communication between the nervous, endocrine and immune systems and the relevance of these interactions to health and disease states are now well documented. The time is now ripe to focus on psychosocial and physiological interventions that can utilize this information to bring health benefits both for healthy people and for those who suffer from chronic diseases. Yogic Science of Breath (YSB) has been proposed as one such intervention scheme that may improve the health status of the individual and decrease health care costs. This presentation will explore the science behind YSB and will conclude with a brief video portraying its use in working with the youth/adolescents, in prison populations, for post traumatic stress disorder and disaster relief.
    Monday, March 1st, 2010
    12:30- 2pm
    1825 Century Center, 1042-1A+1B
    Speaker: Dr. Fahri Saatcioglu
    Professor, Department of Molecular Biosciences
    University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
    Fahri Saatcioglu is professor in Molecular and Cell Biology at the Department of Molecular Biosciences at the University of Oslo, Norway. His research focuses on hormonal regulation of gene expression, particularly on the level of transcription, as it relates to carcinogenesis. He has published over 50 papers in the field, and since 2000 has also been a Visiting Scientist at Harvard School of Public Health.
    He is also interested in the biological effects and physiological mechanisms of yoga and yogic breathing exercises. He has been practicing yoga for over 25 years and is a part-time yoga teacher at the University of Oslo focusing on classical Hatha yoga in the Art of Living tradition. He recently started to conduct research on these topics as well.
    He has given invited lectures internationally (Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Italy, India, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey) on yoga and related topics in various settings including Scientific Conferences, Policy Making Conferences, Medical Schools, etc. (full list available upon request).
    He is also the Director of the Art of Living Foundation Research Committee for Europe.
    • The conference call dial-in information: 1-800-857-9777 Participant passcode: 10340

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you so much! will write more tomorrow love sissue

    ReplyDelete